Who We Are
Meet the independent agency that has been insuring East TN since 1914.
Since our beginnings in 1914, Price & Ramey Insurance has become a leader in providing quality protection for thousands of individuals & families throughout our region.
Providing the best in coverage and personal service is just one of the many reasons why today, more than ever, people are choosing Price & Ramey Insurance for their insurance needs, whether it be Auto, Home, Health, Business, Liability, Commercial, Business, or other.
With over 100 years of experience, Price & Ramey is a staple in our community and a leader in the insurance industry.
The original agency, owned by John Nall and L.M. Nease, was established in 1914.
- Nall and Nease solf the agency in 1917 to J. B. Lyons, and then to George Burbage and E.C. Price in 1919, who operated the business as Burbage and Price Agency.
- W. B. Ramey came to Kingsport and purchased the Harris-Anderson Agency, previously owned by Charles Harris and Jeff Anderson.
- Ramey purchased the agency of Harris & Graves.
Ramey operated these firms as the Kingsport Insurance Agency until 1929.
- After the death of George Burbage in 1929, Ramey bought the Burbage interest.
- The Burbage and Price Agency and Kingsport Insurance Agency combined under the name of Price & Ramey, composed of E.C. Price Jr. and William B. Ramey, a partnership.
- The agency was incorporated in December 1950.
- Joe Wimberly became a managing stockholder and producer with the firm until his death in 2009. He was a key factor in the company’s reputation, philosopy and growth, purchasing agencies in Elizabethton, Dandridge, Greeneville, and Morristown.
- Wimberly's brother, John Wimberly, purchased stock and became a member of the firm.
- Prior to joining Price & Ramey, Wimberly had worked with Bennett & Edwards Agency as a producer. He became a mayor of Kingsport 1954-1955 and died August 13, 2004.
- Howard Hayden Hannabass, Jr., became part-owner.
- John Wimberly sold his interest to Joe Wimberly and Hannabass.
- Hannabass sold his stock to Joe Wimberly.
Kieth Sims became a member of the firm in November, 1995 and became a stockholder in 1997.
Laws-Troutman Inc. in Elizabethton, TN was acquired in 1998. The name was later changed to Price & Ramey of Elizabethton.
Jenkins Insurance Agency in Dandridge TN was acquired, later becoming Price & Ramey of Dandridge.
Gardner Insurance Agency, Morristown, TN, was acquired, and was eventually merged into Southern States Insurance, Morristown in 2009.
Abble Consumer of Greeneville TN, is acquired and later named Price & Ramey of Greeneville.
Price & Ramey expands to a new location at 1524 Bridgewater Lane, Suite 101, Kingsport, TN with 19 employees.
Hodge Hardy Agency (Newport, TN) is acquired in 2008 and merged into Jenkins Insurance Agency.
Price & Ramey purchased a SIAA franchise and began a separate company named Mountain Empire Agency Alliance, which expanded operating area to 46 counties in East Tennessee, Northern Virginia and Western North Carolina.
Southern States Insurance was acquired, later becoming Price & Ramey of Morristown.
Joe Wimberly died November 14, 2009, and the business was transferred to heir, Keith Sims.
Greene Insurance Agency was purchased in 2019, later becoming Price & Ramey of Tazewell.
Keith Sims died June 10, 2020. Linda Nichols, Director of Operations, HR & Licensing, was elected Interim President/CEO.
Price & Ramey of Elizabethton, was closed August 15, 2020; and their files and servicing were moved to the primary location in Kingsport.
Price & Ramey of Dandridge re-located to 222 East Broadway Boulevard, Suite 201, Jefferson City, TN 37760, becoming Price & Ramey of Jefferson City.
- Board of Directors voted to change the status of Linda Nichols from Interim President/CEO to President/CEO.
- Price & Ramey Insurance Group continues to offer top of the line custom insurance solutions to East TN through offices in Kingsport, Morristown, Jefferson City, and Tazewell. After over 100 years of business, they are continually committed to providing coverage to the hardworking people and businesses of this community.
Read Our Blog
Whether you are looking for advice, explanations, suggestions, or guidance, read the Price & Ramey blog.
Still have questions? Contact us today.
Understanding the choices you have when it comes to insurance shouldn’t be complicated. So in the simplest of terms, let’s look at what a captive vs. independent insurance agent is.
Finding an insurance agent you trust is a critical piece of ensuring you have the coverage you need. But with so many options out there, how do you know which agent is right for you and your unique needs?
There are insurance policies for everything you can imagine, so how do you know what policies you really need? Let’s break down some of the biggest categories of insurance, though it is important to talk to your insurance agent about your specific needs before purchasing a policy.
Purchasing insurance can be daunting for some of us, but it shouldn’t be. It shouldn’t be complicated, headache-inducing, or a burden. When insurance agents and customers work together everyone is on the same goal– to protect you.